Monday, June 1, 2009

Stealth Brands: Je-Dol Sunglasses


Another new discovery early this morning on eBay, an accessory I've never seen before: the amazing, ultra-emblematic Je-Dol sunglasses.

When even Wiki has nothing to say about it, you know an item's arcane. As far as I can piece together on the fly, these sunnies--made in Lansing, Michigan--date to the happy decade from the late sixties to the early seventies when Mod made its way across the water from England and began infusing the American design ethos with clean graphic shapes and a healthy sense of humor. Think Austin Powers, American style.

Then check out these shades. The chains sling back over your ears, holding the frames on your face. Meanwhile, the discs dangle like big bold earrings midway between lobes and shoulders.

There are just a few examples going on eBay and they're pretty pricey -- worth putting a search on if you're interested in a style archetype; the kind that belongs in a museum collection. (Not to mention a conversation-starter extraordinaire!)

Here's another fab version from the online retailer Modern Handbag:

6 comments:

  1. What a discovery! I totally adore them!

    I am sitting in front of my computer with "it's vintage da.." and I'd just like to thank you for good advice on how to handle my inherited 20s dresses.And everything. It has been most helpful to me:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank YOU! I've had so much fun researching and writing these books . . . hopefully will do another one day. Lucky girl to have 20s dresses--if you ever feel bold enough send me a pic and I'll post it; I'd love to show vintage clothing as worn today.

    Thanks again, Christa!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great discovery and very lovely post dude. Brandalley Promo gives us discounts on fashion clothing

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! Its look like swimming goggles.

    ReplyDelete