Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Gilt Trippin'


A few evenings ago I ran into my old friend and mother-in-arms Karen, who has moved to Rome from London. She was telling me how different the light was there--so strong and bright and clear, no wonder the Italians so loved to surround themselves with gold. This is in contrast to the English, whose own pearly, more evanescent light is more supportive of all things silver.

This, when you think about it, perfectly explains why all those glitzy gold bags and shoes I've so loved in the Mediterranean or Miami look so dreadful when worn back at more northerly latitudes.

I'm not sure in which part of the world this young lady happens to be--in this especially golden get-up--but it's certainly waging war with her English Rose skintone. Anna, baby, even back in the early 90's, you of all people should have known.

No comments:

Post a Comment