Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Fly Girl: The Aviatrix's Cap High Fashion Again



Jean Paul Gaultier, designing for Hermès, has seen the style potential of the aviator's cap, and used it as a recurring theme in his Autumn/Winter '09/10 line.

The question: was his inspiration helped along by the fact that Hillary Swank will be portraying Amelia Earhart in a forthcoming film? The wardrobe for the movie promises to be amazing, and it will be interesting to see how closely Hermès comes to replicating the leather-and-pearls élan of this incredibly stylish adventuress.

To give an idea, here's an photo of the lady herself, in a custom-made white leather flying cap.

If you'd like to get an early jump on the look, leather flyer's caps are available on eBay -- but this may be a little too authentic for anything but a costume party.

An more interesting and highly wearable option might be a hat like this one, a vintage wool cloche inspired by the idea of taking to the sky but more realistically stopping short at penthouse level.



(Hermès collection photographs from the Telegraph Online, by AP/EPA/Reuters)

3 comments:

  1. I'm not usually one for leather, but oh my stars, I think I swooned at knees over the gal on the right side's outfit! I can honestly say that if I was made of money (thus able to foot the bill), I would wear that.

    Thank you very, very much for your sweet, caring comment, honey. I hope you're having an excellent week.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wondeful leather dresses.. BrandAlley Discount gives you large collection of designer dresses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is very nice post. it was helped me to check once again. I want to thank you for your work. You have done really very good site.

    ReplyDelete