Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Why I love eBay, Part 1

As I told my husband just the other day, I can run like a rat through eBay, keywording into all sorts of nooks and crannies in pursuit of beautiful fashion relics. Just as in a charity shop, it's necessary to get past binloads of lackluster merchandise before discovering anything truly worthwhile. Over the years I've become inured and whip past the rubbish without a backward glance.

But every so often appears an item so ill-favored it gives me pause. Today's example: the vintage pair of junior lederhosen, "lovingly worn."

I'm of German descent and so am familiar with this type of suspendered leather shorts--my poor brother was forced to wear them on a few occasions when my parents were going through a heritage phase. His were new. Why on earth anyone would bid on a pair of dirty, stiff, beat-to-death ones (as the seller helpfully points out, "as evidenced by the butt patch") is beyond me. But curiosity has gotten the better of me. I am indeed watching it now.

No comments:

Post a Comment